Karen also helped me pick out the fabrics during Suzie's going out of business sale... wouldn't you know that I would get into the reproduction quilts about the time the best reproduction store was closing? The background colors we chose were originally black and red. I ended up making this 108" square and didn't have enough fabric when I got to Florida. The little quilt shop down the street, Cinnamon's, has a beautiful selection and I got the rust and purple fabrics there. I ordered the backing from Backside Fabrics- unfortunately the purple is back ordered so mom gets a short reprieve until it arrives! (I have ordered a couple of backs from them- they have fabric 118" wide!) I changed the pattern of the top a little- I think Karen had the diagonals in the sixteen patches going the same way as the background stripes. I put mine crossways to get that secondary "X" formation.
Someone please explain to me why when you put a quilt down to take a photo, any animal in the house must immediately lay down in the middle of it? Caleb just had surgery to take out one of his giant molars which had gone bad, but is doing fine. I'm not sure he even noticed they did anything, except that I have been feeding him all kinds of good soft food which he is enjoying.
This is my Twist & Shout quilt- it is a variation of the Australian Odyssey pattern from Deezigner Quilts. I had got the pattern and the fabric from the Dallas Quilt show a couple of years ago. (The quilt is much prettier than the picture on the front of the pattern, by the way!) The dyed fabric I purchased to use with this was light on one selvage, shading to dark on the opposite selvage. I thought this would make a cool shaded pattern but when I went to sew the strips on the pattern I was just a little short! So the last row in every color is some type of modern pattern in the same color scheme. I also left my blocks horizontal instead of in the diamond shape.
Now to go figure out which is the next UFO to be moved to mom's list!