Monday, March 25, 2013

Red Tailed Hawk

video

Florida is a whole lot warmer than the rest of the country, but it sure is soggy.  I spent most of the weekend under a desk lamp sewing feathers on my new bird project.  Then I ran out of the right color of fabric for my feathers, so yesterday I dyed some more fabric.  I had forgotten what a strenuous process it is- about halfway through yesterday I was already sick of it.  Tonight I am washing all the dye out.  Here are some of the new fabrics:


The bottom two are twist-dyed.  Most of them I was trying to make striped for the primary and secondary feathers in the wings.  They were accordion folded and dyed.  There are also a couple that were shibori dyed that are still in the rinse cycle.  Here is a close up of one of the patterns:

Here is the bird in process- the parts I have put together are laying on the giant photo I blew up and am using as a pattern.  Hopefully I will have enough choices now to get another couple of layers of feathers put together.



8 comments:

  1. Theri, I've seen other samples of birds by other quilters on the net. Have to tell you that I think yours are superior to any others I have seen. Keep it up! Someday someone is going to offer you an outrageous price for one of your pieces. Say yes!

    Liri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I just love seeing your birds take shape and come to life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so creative, I love watching your progress! Liri is right, someday you could be offered a nice price for your work. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bird is just fantastic. I am not suprised. Just in aw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering when you were going to do another bird piece just the other day;) You do an awesome job;)
    Happy Quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your fabrics are BEAUTIFUL!!! I miss our dyeing days ;( Did we do the twist method? I need to clean out my garage and play. Love your red tailed hawk. Keep posting pics!
    Karen G.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Missed you all day too! I started off like a mad scientist and halfway through got all tired out and still had the mess to deal with. Twist method is just loosely twisting the fabric and tucking the ends in a loose pretzel shape. The fabric is streakier that way. I have been trying to dye some fabric for these next zebra striped feathers that are next on the bird. Haven't done anything I like yet... Tues I ran some fabric thru the smocking machine and laid the bunched up fabric down on the dye in the bottom of the bowl. Washed them out last night and they turned out to have alternating dark and light color stripes. Not sure how the dye got on the top... Maybe I need to only fill the water/salt/soda ash only halfway up the fabric so it is not submerged? Have a little bit do dye left, maybe I will try again tomorrow.... Theri

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's really impressive just how much effort you go to to create your own fabrics in order to achieve the desired results.

    ReplyDelete