Monday, May 6, 2013

Pastel Weekend

This past weekend was filled with pastel drawing events... the First Coast Pastel Society had a lovely little demo of Andy Kenyon showing us his pastel techniques on Saturday.  I have to tell you I am completely impressed- drawing adult people is bad enough, anyone who can draw a lifelike child (one that doesn't look like a potato) is amazing to me.  Andy does some amazing drawings which you can see here Andy Kenyon's Children Portraits.  



Sunday was our first members show- we had a great time. I think it would have been terribly funny to see this great figure painter judging all of our landscape pictures.  Everyone in the show did a fantastic job- it was really cool to see pictures that everyone had spent some time on.  Usually I only see pictures that we have been outside drawing for a couple of hours.  You can see the show on the blog for the First Coast Pastel Society along with all the results. Oh, and special thanks to all of you that did all the planning and execution, too!

All of which puts me in the mood to keep pursing my latest project.

Last week I spent a lot of time on the phone with my consultant as I built a studio box to contain all my pastels.  I have mostly Unison which I started out with in my Heilman box, but all the others brands I have been accumulating are still piled around in their original packaging.  I think the box turned out great- Dad gave me some really good tips for putting it together (and can I say I have upped my assessment of his carpentry skills!)  and I spent a couple of days last week getting it sealed up.  This is about 18 X 32 and the bays are about 4 1/2 inches wide.




There's only one problem with this beautiful little box-  I think it should have been bigger!


Maybe when I get it sorted out to get the plein air colors back in the Heilman box it will all fit?  Doesn't seem real likely at the moment....

3 comments:

  1. I am in awe of those with artistic tendencies as I can't draw a stick figure - no really, I can't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful box, you did a fine job. I love pastels. Used to use them on bisque pieces when I wanted some really soft color. But I can't draw on the flat at all!

    Liri

    ReplyDelete
  3. You continue to amaze me with your talents. The box is awesome. I love it with all filled up. The colors are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete