Sunday, November 3, 2013

Scrapping

A while ago, I started collecting all the scraps from my quilts in a laundry basket instead of throwing the remainder away when a qui I have a friend in Texas who makes the most beautiful scrappy quilts from leftover scraps that people give to her.  I am not quite patient enough to sew together all the tiny little pieces like she does, but it seems a shame to get rid of the extra prices when they can be turned in to a perfectly good quilt.  So today I was not very interested in doing anything too difficult, so I started sorting through the basket and sewing the leftover strips in a quilt as you go method. I got a fairly respectable pile of blocks done-



But I think that the basket of scraps looks like it has more in it than when I started!  How many quilts do you think I can get out of this anyway?



7 comments:

  1. Karen R. would be proud of you :) I need to do the same thing. My scraps are taking over my sewing room. Karen G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did well with what you stitched together, but that basket has lots more quilt blocks in it. I love string quilts, they are so scrappy and wonderful. Have fun playing with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your scrap blocks look great, and you'll have a big stack of blocks soon. But don't try to tell us you are not patient enough to sew little pieces of fabric together! Have you looked, really looked, at all those feathers you've been putting together??? Now that takes a really patient person! For anyone who can do that so precisely certainly can get several string quilts together in a hurry! *wink* ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scrap baskets have a way of doing that, but the blocks look great. Keep sewing and eventually that pile might go down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love scrappy strip quilts! Unfortunately, the scraps seem to multiply when I'm not looking. BTW, I thought of you yesterday when I saw an owl quilt at the Int'l Quilt Festival in Houston. Theri, you really need to submit one of your bird quilts to them next year. The owl quilt I saw in Houston was nice, but I your bird quilts are much better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with "Love", you can not make those amazingly detailed birds without patience. Sewing string blocks are great for when you don't want to think too hard about you are working on. All of a sudden my strings seem to be multiplying over night. Oh well, yet another rainy day project. Sorting that mess out :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a terrific plan for your scraps. The QAYG method is just perfect for this kind of project. You could have a stash of made-up quilt blocks ready to make into any size quilt for any occasion. Great for using up batting leftovers too.

    ReplyDelete