Saturday, October 3, 2015

Purple Warms my Heart

Ok, so have completely blown off this blog thing for a long, long time.  Apparently I am not smart enough to figure out how to write something on the iPad and attach a picture from the device.  So I am finally giving up and loading the pictures to Picasa to be able to find and attach them to a post. Apple does a lot of things well, but this is not one of them.  Why can't I see the pictures I took on the iPad?

Mom got diagnosed with lung cancer about a month ago. I am very, very fortunate to be able to be here to help take care of her. Next week she will be halfway through her radiation treatments and she seems to be doing very well.  The beginning was a little rocky, but she has been chattering like a magpie for the last 4-5 days. It is very heartening to see.

Anyway, in the midst of all of the bad news when this started, I realized that I have never made mom a quilt. Panic! (Dumb, I know, but I did not know I was on a deadline). I have had a pretty complicated little quilt picked out to make for her for years, but it is a hand pieced quilt which is beyond me at this point. There is too much arthritus in my thumb for me to consider it. So after some serious consideration I decided I would try to put this together with an overlaid decorative stitch. I am a little worried about the thickness of the seams, but we will see how it goes.  

Here are the purples I have picked out, having raided mom's stash for about 1/3 of them. A couple of these I love. Have you ever had a fabric that you liked so much that you didn't want to risk cutting it?


6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about your mom's diagnosis, sending prayers and thoughts to you both and the rest of your family.

    Love the purples. I haven't used that colour much but I just bought some to play with this week. And yes, I have had fabric I loved too much to cut into, or that I just couldn't completely use up because then I wouldn't have any left....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had wondered what was going on a few days ago when it seemed you were trying to post something; sometimes old ways are the best! Agree? So sorry to read the sad news about your mom, but glad to hear she is doing as well as she is. I know she is glad you can be nearby to help and comfort her. I'll keep both of you in my prayers. You do have a beautiful collection of purples there. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. And yes, I have LOTS of fabrics I don't want to cut into. So glad you're back with us! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life just gets in the way doesn't it. It's nice to hear from you Theri. Please let your mum know that I send my best wishes. She is on quite a journey. its going to be a beautiful quilt - those jewel purples are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your mom. Prayers coming for your family. Glad to see some sewing going on. Very therapeutic. I also have memorable fabric that I just can't cut into. My husband went to Japan after the tsunami. He brought back beautiful fabric in 1 meter cuts. Just can't seem to figure out the right way to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I hope she continues to do well and the radiation kicks the life out of that cancer! I love purples and your quilt is going to be beautiful and amazing and LOVED. I hope you find time to keep us posted about your mom - I know she blogged with us for a bit and I have a few blocks from our swap from her in my quilt. And I, too, have fabrics I don't want to cut into!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every so often when I'm looking at my blog swap quilt, I wonder about you and a few others that haven't blogged for a while. It's good to see a post from you, but not so good to hear hour Mom is fighting cancer. We pray for her complete recovery. Be sure to post the quilt when you finish it!

    ReplyDelete