Friday, December 18, 2015

Practice, Practice, Practice...

Okay, so I guess I need to get some practice in before starting to quilt mom's beautiful purple top. I don't get too many chances to work on mom's long arm, and by the time I get around to my next chance I seem to have forgotten most of what I learned....

Worked on a little piece of muslin yesterday to refresh my memory.  Did some ruler work and tried placing the block pattern I chose for this star quilt in the space. After a couple of blocks, my ruler work is acceptable and there were only a couple of little places where the design stitched over my lines. Which I should be able to fudge with, I think. I should be able to work on this for the weekend...

So here is a little top that I had put together a while ago.  I had picked this kit up at the Dallas quilt show back when I lived in Texas.  This is yet another lesson in "I should do what I know works, and not what the instructions say..."  Not that you can tell from this picture, but most of the points are mismatched on this quilt. I MUST press my seams flat.  Every time I am persuaded to iron the seam to one side, I end up with big lumpy issues. Forget that the seams are supposed to "lock" together. It just doesn't work for me. I do like the pattern of this quilt, though, and it is busy enough that my "practice" quilting shouldn't show too badly....

And the warm spell will likely break soon- I will need a lap quilt!



4 comments:

  1. I'm a little more relaxed about points but yes it can be infuriating when you want them to meet. Lovely quilt, lovely colours. I hope we get to see some close ups of your quilting pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love big stars in quilts, and yours is very special! I have no doubt your practice will assure a beautiful quilting job on your Mother's quilt. Can hardly wait to see it finished! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry; I closed out my comment too soon. I meant to wish you a MERRY CHRISTMAS too! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Practice is a good thing. I love all the beautiful browns in the quilt, it is so pretty. Have a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete